Monday, December 8, 2008

Candle Tea

Saturday we went to the Candle Tea in Old Salem which is another of the family traditions we celebrate. My mom and dad started this tradition in 1976 and we have gone every year since. I have to confess that I have missed 2 years. One when I was being a pain in the butt teenager and the other I was in preterm labor with Owen.
The Candle Tea is a moravian tradition that features both the Christmas story and some historical Moravian customs and has become a tradition in Winston since 1929. We sing Christmas carols, learn to make beeswax candles, eat sugar cake, & hear the Christmas story. We usually wait in line for about 2 hours but it is totally worth it. Old Salem is such a quaint little town and I love it. If you have never been there during Christmas I definately recommend it.












No comments: